Click4Gap Logo

Can I Keep My Car After a Total Loss?

When You Can and Can’t Keep a Total Loss Car

Yes, you can keep your car after a total loss, but it depends on the category of write-off. There are four categories of write-offs in the UK:

  • Category A: The vehicle is uneconomical to repair and should be scrapped.
  • Category B: The vehicle is uneconomical to repair and should be broken for scrap.
  • Category C: The vehicle is uneconomical to repair but can be repaired and returned to the road.
  • Category S: The vehicle has suffered structural damage but can be repaired and returned to the road.

If your car is written off as a Category A or B, you cannot keep it. However, if your car is written off as a Category C or S, you can keep it.

To keep a Category C or S vehicle, you will need to:

  • Contact your insurance company and tell them that you want to keep the vehicle.
  • Pay your insurance company the salvage value of the vehicle.
  • Send your vehicle log book (V5C) to your insurance company.
  • Apply for a new vehicle log book from the DVLA.
  • Have your vehicle inspected by a qualified engineer to ensure that it is safe to return to the road.

If your vehicle is a Category S vehicle, you will also need to have a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) carried out by the DVLA. This is to ensure that the vehicle has not been stolen and that it is safe to return to the road.

It is important to note that keeping a written-off vehicle can be expensive and time-consuming. You will need to pay for the repairs, which could be significant, and you will also need to pay for the VIC inspection. Additionally, the value of your vehicle will be reduced because it has been written off.

If you are considering keeping your written-off vehicle, it is important to weigh the costs and benefits carefully.


Related Reading: Understanding GAP Insurance For Cars?


When To Consider Keeping a Total Loss Car

You should only keep a car that has been declared a total loss if:

  • The car is a classic or specialist vehicle, and you are willing to invest the time and money to repair it to a high standard.
  • The car has a high sentimental value to you.
  • You can repair the car yourself or have a friend or family member willing to do it for you at a reduced cost.
  • You are able to sell the car for spare parts or scrap metal.

It’s crucial to understand that retaining a written off vehicle can incur substantial costs and demand significant time. Repair expenses can be hefty, and there’s the added cost of undergoing a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) inspection. Moreover, the vehicle’s value will diminish due to its written-off status.

Carefully evaluate the financial implications and advantages.

Here are some additional things to consider:

  • The cost of repairs: The cost of repairs will vary depending on the extent of the damage. If the damage is severe, the cost of repairs may be more than the value of the car.
  • The safety of the car: It is important to have the car inspected by a qualified engineer to ensure that it is safe to return to the road. If the car has suffered structural damage, it may not be possible to repair it to a safe standard.
  • The value of the car: The value of a written-off car will be less than the value of a car that has not been written off. This is because written-off cars are often more difficult to insure and may have safety concerns.

If you are unsure whether or not to keep your written-off vehicle, it is a good idea to seek advice from a qualified mechanic or insurance expert.


Related Reading: What Are The Most Expensive UK Car Repairs


Need Gap Insurance?

There are a few different types of policy you can choose from when taking out your Gap Insurance cover with Click4Gap. These depend largely on how you intend to fund the purchase of your vehicle. So what car Gap Insurance is right for you?

Combined Return to Invoice Gap Insurance

If you paid cash for your vehicle, or paid a sizeable deposit, or if you financed it, Combined RTI Gap cover will pay out the shortfall between the cost of your vehicle and the market value at the point of claim, which is the amount your motor insurer will cover. This is cover that will protect you no matter if you use your vehicle for private use or for business.

Lease/Contract Hire Gap Insurance

If you leased your vehicle or it is under a contract hire agreement, Lease/Contract Hire Gap Insurance will cover you for the shortfall on your lease agreement, after your motor insurer settlement. If, for any reason, you change your vehicle within the first 90 days from the start date, we will also arrange to transfer your cover to your new vehicle without hassle or charge.


Related Reading: The Consequences of NOT Having Click4Gap Gap Insurance